"…people are hot for social media…Erik Qualman who has written a
book called Socialnomics says it's about listening first, then selling."
If I'm honest I'd like to skip the selling bit altogether. I'm one of these people who find my hackles rising at the slightest hint of being sold to. Sky salemen and Jahova's wintesses beware.
The gist of Socialnomics seems to be – traditional TV advertising is declining while Facebook
and Twitter are now important communication tools for business as well
as social communication. I think we all know that, don't we. But nice to have some statistics…
Erik says that 90% of people who can skip adverts on TV using set top recorders will do so. 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations while only 14% trust advertisements. He believes that we will no longer need to search for products – they will find us via social networking sites.
Here are some more figures:
- Over 50% of the world’s population is under 30-years-old (the other half live in Yorkshire).
- 96% of those under 30 year olds have joined a social network (other 4% go out and meet people).
- Facebook added over 200 million users in less than a year.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 3rd largest.
- The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females.
- 50% of the mobile Internet traffic in the UK is for Facebook.
- 60 millions status updates happen on Facebook daily.