You know how it is, you start out with the best worked out aims and then over time the world crowds in on you and you end up fire-fighting and responding to everyone who asks for help.
When I switched jobs a few months ago now I wrote a note to myself for fear of being absorbed BY something rather than IN something. The note wasn’t particularly detailed or comprehensive, it was just a reminder of a few things I’d picked up. Here it is again as a reminder to me, and for you if you are interested.
- Prioritise communication – with prayer as a fundamental part of this.
- Generate and capture ideas as a habit.
- Look for and tell stories of success (news, blog etc).
- Look for diversity of input, thinking and leadership (particularly involving younger people).
- Provide the tools to explore and discuss challenging issues openly (media, art, film etc).
- Encourage independence, resilience and sustainability.
- Follow the energy, look for emerging opportunities for organic development.
- Form a strategy for the work but be flexible and constantly review.
- Convert best ideas into well run projects (suggest ideas look for resources).